I've had similar results with my G550.  Xfree86 -configure works fine,
but nothing else does.  Also, even when I use the monitor info from
xfree86 -configure  or manually specify the specs for my monitor, a MAG
800V, the driver seems to set the mode wrong.  I can't get
1280x1024x85Hz.  It used to work fine when I was using Xfree CVS from
last december I think.  When I upgraded to redhat 7.3 (Xfree 4.2.0) in
August, I couldn't get the monitor to sync at 85 hz, so I had to reduce
the refresh rate to 75 hz.  Now it works ok, but I'd prefer 85Hz.
Also, at some of the lower modes like 640x480, the image is wavy.  it
sort of shakes.  I haven't really had time to mess with it much, since
it works tolerably at the moment.

------------------------------

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >From X -configure:
>
> (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
> (II) LoadModule: "ddc"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
> (II) Module ddc: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
>         compiled for 4.2.1, module version = 1.0.0
>         ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
> (II) MGA(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
> (II) MGA(0): VESA VBE DDC Level 2
> (II) MGA(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 1 sec.
> (II) MGA(0): VESA VBE DDC read successfully

That is a success;
 /root/XF86Config.new should have some info about the monitor.