I don't see what special support is required for VLB bus.
It should work like an ISA Bus system as long as you are
not trying to get a VLB/PCI motherboard to work.
We have no knowledge of VLB-PCI bridges therefore it is not
unlikely that you run into trouble with these systems.

That you cannot get the S3 Trio32 to work under 4.2. is
more likely due to the fact that this chip isn't supported
by 4.2.

Egbert.