On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Xft vs. core X fonts is not about AA fonts.  You can configure Xft to
> never AA anything in fonts.conf. fontconfig/Xft are a full replacement
> font system, not just a hack to get AA.

Sorry for the newbie idiot butt-in.

On a side note.  How does one get Xft working?  I have Xfree86
version, XFree86 Version 4.2.99.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 26 September 2002

Sometimes when I compile programs that seem to be looking
for Xft (say KDE 3.0.3 for example) configure does not find what
it's looking for and says I don't have Xft installed.
For instance KDE 3.0.3 looked for Xft/XftFreetype.h.
All I have is:
pc1:/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft$ ls
Xft.h  XftCompat.h

How do I know Xft is working? Is there a test I can run?
Same with AA.  How do I know that is working?

Fred

Error Loading Explorer.exe
You must reinstall Windows.