Greetings all. I hope to attain some help from some of
you gurus. I have been pounding away at this problem
for 9 months now, and would REALLY like to figure it
out before 4.3 hits the servers.

Before I explain, I'll lay down that this problem has
reproduced itself on 3 different machines (all *86
arch), on gcc-2.95.3 and 3.2, on several different
builds of Linux from Scratch which are rock solid, FHS
and LSB compliant, and which build everything else
without a hickup. I am a co-developer on the Linux
from Scratch via RPM distro, so my focus here is to
get X built from a spec file. Also, the error is
reproduced whether building by hand or from a spec
file, and I've gone from no host.def file, to using
just HaveZlib YES and HaveNcurses YES, to switching
all of the different flags on and off (yes, it's been
a LOT of builds). For the sake of probability, let's
rule out hardware or a flaky build environment causing
my problem. Also, it has been attempted with and
without optimization in all the different scenerio.
Here is the output I have seen so many times:

make[4]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/build/xc/lib/GL/GL'
make[4]: *** No rule to make target
`../../../lib/GL/glx/?*.o', needed
by `libGL.a'.  Stop.
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/build/xc/lib/GL/GL'
make[3]: *** [install] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/build/xc/lib/GL'
make[2]: *** [install] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/build/xc/lib'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/build/xc'
make: *** [install] Error 2

The only flag that makes any difference is BuildFonts
NO. This works, everything builds correctly, but then
I'm left rerunning the install to build fonts (not a
good solution for a spec file). If I cd to
xc/lib/GL/GL and type make, I get the same output. But
if I cd to xc/lib/GL/glx and do make, it builds, and I
am then able to go back to xc/lib/GL/GL and hit make
with success. This leads itself to appear as a build
order problem, but I am not familiar enough with Imake
to track it. Another tidbit is that, shortly after the
fonts build, Makefile.bak is created in xc/lib/GL/glx,
which means something in the build is updating the
makefile.

I have tried building without patches, with just the
bad-extern patch, with just the 4.2.1 patch, and
different combinations of a whole pile of patches I've
found, but none of them solve this. I've run across
several other folks having this problem on Google, but
never uncovered a solution. My hope here is not only
to solve my problem but hopefully fix something in the
4.3 release so that no one has to encounter this
again. Thanks so much for any help you may be able to
give.

Jason