On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 04:40:09PM -0500, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> If I were to replace this card with another 3d card,
> what would be a safe chipset to select if I want to stick with
> open source drivers?

Matrox cards.  They're so well supported it makes me laugh everytime a
friend buys something else.  All basic functions are supported by Free
drivers.  In addition, Matrox develops GPL drivers and a GPL version of
their Windows PowerDesk software.

While their 3D support isn't up to the bleeding edge of the NV/ATI
curve, my aging G400 card keeps up more than well enough.  If
you want to drive a digital LCD or decode DVDs in hardware you'll need a
proprietary chunk of code linked into your driver - due to Macrovision
support.

They have a beta module out for Parhelia, haven't heard anything about
it.  Seeing as they support most everything back to the G200 cards
though, I'd say quality support could be counted on.

--
Ross Vandegrift
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.