> From: "Shei, Shing-Shong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 12:00:32 -0500
>
> I am sorry to bother everybody but I cannot access the following
> URL came up with Google search:

> [Xpert]X garbled after lid shut/open on Dell Inspiron 4150
> ... action to the power management features in X (maybe ... My system is Dell
>Inspiron 4150,
> Intel mobile P4 1.9 GHz (OK ... Am running apmd (but nothing special setup in it ...
> www.xfree86.org/pipermail/xpert/ 2002-October/021407.html - 4k
>
> The problme has been described clearly there -- whenever you close the lid
> (and my guess is that the system went to the suspended mode) and open it up
> again, the screen was garbled to the extend that even using ctrl-alt-backspce
> to kill the server won't help.  Ctrl-alt-F1 cannot get to alternative console
> either.  The only way out is to power cycle the system.  (It's using the ATI
> Radeon M7 with 32MB video ram.)

Sigh! This really needs to be a FAQ. IF only there was a fix. But
there is a (messy) workaround. But it's lots better than a reboot.

The issue is the Radeon M7 with a 1400x1050 display. If the display is
running at 1400x1050 when the panel is powered up, it loses sync.
The re-establish sync, do the following with required mods for your
system specifics:
1. Switch to a test display with <CTRL-ALT-F2>. NOTE: Your display
   will still be bad and may not change at all! Does not matter!
2. Turn off the display again. I use Fn-F3, but that is specific to my
   laptop and you will need to find out how to do this on yours.
   Closing the lid might do the trick.
3. Turn on the display by opening the lid or pressing a key. (I
   usually use <SHIFT> so nothing gets sent to any program.) The
   display should now be in sync.
4. Return to X with <ALT-F9>.

It's not pretty, but it seems to work quite well. I can almost type
the sequence in my sleep by now. Once in a while I will need to repeat
the sequence to get things working, but only very rarely.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  Phone: +1 510 486-8634