In looking at some of my old log books I found that indeed the Gode graphics core can support resolutions lower than 640X480 including 320x240 however I also remember that using the old 3.3.6 driver that none of teh standard VESA modelines supplied with the default XF86Config worked.  That was because of a dependancy between the HSYNC pulse and the paint resolution.  These values had to be between 8 and 24 clocks away from each other

following is a mode line that i hand caluculated to satisfy that requirement for 800 x 600 x 16 @ 75 Mhz

800x600   75 800 816 1084 1100 600 616 834 850

I remember seeing all of the standard modelines fall through when the system was trying to probe all the display combinations.

Our internal Vidtest utility clearly show the ability to drive the following resolutions

320x200, 320x240,400x300,512x384,640x480,800x600 and 1024x768

This utility is available from our IA Developers website which unfortunately needs an NDA to gain access.  Since that doesn't work very well for either XFree86 or GPL environemt I am going to ask permission to release this utility into the public domin which also adds the ability to inspect the register settings of the graphics controller at a specific resolution setting.

Do you Yahoo!?