[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm having a lot of trouble getting X to run on my Toshiba Satellite
> 1905-S301 laptop.  I have searched many of the sites that supposedly
> have info on installing Linux on Toshibas (for example
> http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/, and
> http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/index.htm), but I've found
> absolutely no hardware or X installation information at all for 1905
> models.  (Maybe they are too new?  If so, what older Toshiba models
> are closest, as far as running X goes, to the 1905s?)
>
> The error I get when I run startx is basically "No devices detected."
> I include the full /var/log/XFree86.0.log and /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> files below.
>
> I'd be more than happy to post any other information that may help
> diagnosing the problem.
>
> Thanks!
>
> KJ

Here's the first thing to try.  You are running 4.1.x, which is rather
dated now.  I'd suggest getting a newer version (although check my
comment below.)

> XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6510)
> Release Date: 21 December 2001
>         If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
>         newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
>         reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)

Here's the culprit.  You need a driver that supports this chipset.

> (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI unknown chipset (0x4c59) rev 0, Mem @ 0xf0000000/27,
>0xe8000000/16, I/O @ 0x3000/8

Current xfree86 cvs identifies that chip as PCI_CHIP_RADEON_LY
(http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86PciInfo.h?rev=1.138&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup)
so may be usable on that machine.  I don't know if the driver supports
though.

--
Kevin