Hello,

I have reported this before with X ages ago and it still happens in the latest
version !

Basically when doing specific things X slows down all on its own.

I really don't know what is doing this and would appreciate any help. It would
really help to know if I am alone in this or if other people also get similar
or the same results.

How to make it happen.
X :-
Start X. Start an application that that involves X doing a lot of movement.
The best example I have found is Mesa Gears because it outputs the fps. When
I start gears the results I see are :
57 fps
60 fps
37 fps
37 fps
37 fps
Each output occurs at 5 second intervals.

Now here comes the fun bit ! Start moving the mouse or keep a key depressed.
The fps output now goes up to about 65 and stays there until the mouse stops
moving or the key is released where upon it goes straight back to 37 !
Moreover, if gears is exited and re-started the whole cycle starts again.
I.e. the output starts at about 60 and then drops to 37, rather than starting
out at 37.

This happens whether X is started when the frame buffer is in use or not.
Gears gear wheels visibly slow down, so it's not just the fps being printed
oddly.

So what is this strange system I have ? It is a Dell Inspiron 7000, PII 400,
256Mb Ram, ATI Rage Mobility +.

Can anyone help with this strange and annoying `feature' ?

Thanks,
Owen