AH> What is the best method for replacing Xfree86 4.2 on my Mandrake
AH> 9.0 install with the older Xfree86 3.3 (that works with my
AH> laptop)?

What hardware does your laptop have?

Have you tried using the ``vesa'' driver with the ``shadowfb'' option?

If that doesn't work, try Xvesa with the -shadowfb option.  If
Mandrake don't ship Xvesa, file a bug report with them.

While XFree86 3.3 might work, you'd be missing out on TrueType font
support, the RENDER extension and a lot of other improvements.

While I'm not familiar with Mandrake, using 3.3 should simply require
putting the XSVGA binary somewhere and linking /usr/X11R6/bin/X to it.
You may need to disable authorisation in your desktop manager's config
file.

Good luck,

                                        Juliusz