On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 09:44:38AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I need to have accurate color representation on my monitor.  Of course
> monitors and video cards differ in this area, so how do I know a color
> being presented to me on the screen is true to the color of the source?
>
> Is there any way to "tune" the Xserver to display colors accurately on
> a given monitor?

Oh boy, you've opened a real can of worms there :)

Excuse me if I get the ordering wrong - I've tried to get it right.. :)

First there was Pantone - unfortunately this is patented, which is
why proggies like gimp don't support them.  Even linus himself has expressed
frustration at this particular patent.

Then apple came out with ColorSync.  But a company called Imatec claimed
this infringed on their patents.  They had a small scuffle, and apple won.
(Thankfully - the company in question doesn't seem to actually produce anything,
just sue anyone that tries to do color correction - their three patents in this
area are overly broad.)

Apple then came out with ColorSync2 and the even newer ColorSync3.
There have been
attempts to get this in programs like Mozilla
(http://www.mozilla.org/projects/colorsync/) however this is simply using
ColorSync if it comes with the OS.  AFAIK there is no ColorSync implementation
for linux, however it seems that apple are working on it.
ColorSync uses something called ICC profiles which I don't understand, but
seems to be something about adding the color information into images.
ColorSync is just on the viewing end afaik.

Other than the pantone and colorsync/icc stuff, I know of nothing else.
Noone in the opensource community wants to get sued by Imatex so noone
will touch this area.

JohnFlux