Hi,

I built and installed xfree86 from the head of cvs a while
ago under 5.0 because the one from port could not recognize
my ATI Radeon 9000. I did not have the problems you described
below, but keep in mind that my -CURRENT might be different
from your -CURRENT. :-)

Here's a snapshot from my world.lod:

Building Release 6.6 of the X Window System.

I hope you checked the configuration parameters in ./config/cf
to see if you need to pass BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS.

Mon Dec 23 17:02:25 PST 2002
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cd ./config/imake && make   -f Makefile.ini BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS="" CC="cc" clean
<snip>
make -f xmakefile   VerifyOS

Building on FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT i386 [ELF] (5.0.0).

GCC version: 3.2
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

<snip>

Install went fine, too. Notice the date which is most likely the date
of the head of cvs for both FreeBSD CURRENT and XFree86.

I did have to install the XFree86 CVS build into a separate directory
(/usr/local/X11R6) while keeping the one from ports (/usr/X11R6) to
satisfy tons of port dependencies (such as gnome, etc.).

Just a data point for your reference because the version of gcc is
not the same as yours (3.2.1).

Cheers,

yushun.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I've cvsup RELENG_5_0 yesterday, make kernel, make world.
Then I've cvsup xf-4_2_1 into another source directory, make World, make
install.
make World gave warnings of no big big integers, but completed.
make install failed because the FreeBSD.cf supplied apparently called for
ansic.inc version that's different.
[all names above I recall from memory, maybe slightly off..]

Question: anyone has include file or source or patch or instruction to
make above combination work?
I'm guessing it's because 5.0 uses gcc 3.2.1 and not 2.9 anymore, and
include files changed...

If above combination is not good, any suggestions?  I'm starting off with
a new hard drive, though I'm sort of committed now using FreeBSD 5.0.  (I
also have it dual boot to Windows and Linux.)  As came with the cvsup,
the ports supplied is Xfree86 3.3.6...

Regards,
Gilbert