On 1/15/14 2:58 PM, Ken Thomases wrote:
On Jan 15, 2014, at 5:52 AM, Stefano Borini wrote:

A freshly installed copy of 10.8 has /usr/X11/lib, which contains
.dylibs for X, in addition to libpng and so on. It does not come
with a X11 server.

Those libraries are bogus.

wow... sneaky. I would have never found out. Thanks.

The important thing to understand is that libpng and libfreetype and
the like are not "X11 libs".  They happen to have been installed with
X11 because they were needed by X11.  If they are needed by your
program, then they should be installed by/with your program in an
analogous manner.

After this discussion, I managed to successfully run the application on the customer's computer. I did so by copying the libpng and libfreetype from XQuartz into the .app. Apparently, it is working, so I will most likely build my own versions without relying on XQuartz for the final deployment.

There's a valid reason for it.

Ok. I guess I will explore a bit further and then start packaging these additional components as well.

Thank you all for the help, it was extremely useful.

Kind Regards

Stefano Borini