I'm a user of archlinux and we are also investigating this bug in:

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18904

>From what I've seen the problem arises after upgrading GTK2 to version
2.20.

Downgrading GTK to version 2.18.9 seems to solve the problem.

I've tried to isolate the problem, and it seems to be in the file
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0  (of course this could be different in
other distros)

I've upgraded the GTK again to version 2.20 and just replaced that file
with the file from the older 2.18.9 version. After that Thunar works
fine again.

Although it's not a proper solution I hope that it could help somebody
here and also help the experts to track down the problem more easily.

Best regards. David.

--
thunar select freezes after using mouse to select folders ("detailed view" mode)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/520118