   4. 12.04 is dual booted with Unix (E.g. netbsd).
       (Dual-booting and Unix should still function as before after the
upgrade of 12.04 to 14.04)

#1 is probably the most common scenario.
#2 is unique because of the requirement to coexist with the Microsoft
boot-loader.
#3 and #4 are different from #1 because of potential boot-loader and
grub version differences (potential conflicts).

NOTE: I left out Android because the probability of someone dual-booting
Android (Linux kernel but yet another boot-loader scenario) and Xubuntu
12.04 at the moment is not significant.  Other opinions?  However, next
time (16.04?) could be a different matter.

#2 can be set-up by downloading a legal evaluation copy of Windows 8.1
from here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/default
Note that you will be prompted my Microsoft to login or register if you
are not already logged in.  Registering is legally cost-free.  Please do
not use illegal bitorrent methodologies.

I'll do all 4x2=8 cases as soon as all of my "day jobs" permit, in the
above priority order (other opinions about order?).  I am downloading
W-oink as I type.

Someone else PLEASE do as much as possible of the same as I my test-rig
is still an Intel-abandoned Intel CedarTrail/PowerVR motherboard
(D2550MUD2).  Yes, I am going to get rid of it during 1Q2014 since
nothing fully makes use of the hardware including Windows.  Still
kicking myself for poor research 12 months ago!  (-:

Richard
https://launchpad.net/~texadactyl <https://launchpad.net/%7Etexadactyl>