I love the idea. It reminds me of PCLinuxOS's monthly magazine.[1] There's
so much good stuff in there. How to use applications. It has an
"installment" feel to it that makes you look forward to the next issue. It
kind of reminds me of Ted Nelson's Computer Lib (from the 70s-80s) the way
it's wide ranging with recipes and crossword puzzles. If a novice followed
along, they would increasingly absorb more practical purposes as well as
tricks/tips to customize, fix problems, etc.

That's much content on a monthly basis is probably a lot of work. But, one
thing I would take from them is the way they make it accessible from their
main page. For example, I wasn't aware Xubuntu had the tips you linked to.
I would promote that from being mixed in with tedium and quickly outdated
news releases. Make it more like a magazine with some enduring value to new
readers.

Something I like about Mint is the way the user sees a "welcome" tutorial
screen on their first boot. IMO, Xubuntu should have that and refer people
to the recurring, subscribe'able magazine-like content.

I like how Xubuntu's tips are more topical. It's easy to see at a glance.
If a larger magazine format were used, I would try to list the table of
contents at a high level so people could scan through topics and know which
monthly "issue" contains something they're interested in. (PCLOS lacks that
higher-level visibility to the topics available.).

[1] http://www.pclinuxos.com/