*Current situation with Xubuntu 16.04 upgrades*

As promised earlier, this is where we stand currently with upgrading –note that the tests we have undertaken so far have for the most part only been in virtual machines, though see bug reported by one of our testers on hardware [1].

1) Upgrading from 15.10 to 16.04 worksusing any method.
2) Upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04 works when you use the ISO to upgrade; see [2].
3) Upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04 FAILS using update-manager.

In the original bug report the tester was left with a frozen system after upgrading. After a hard reset, they could get into a VT, but not the GUI. It is possible that you don't see all of the symptoms mentioned here, but it is likely you will end up in a broken environment. As noted in the bug report [1], running "dpkg --configure -a" shouldallow you to finish the upgrade and thenlet the system boot normally.

All information we can get to triage the source of the fail is welcome. Ifyouhaveamachineor twoyoucan afford to 'break' and then attempt to fix, we would be very happy to hear your results from such testing.

If you're in a situation where you cannot afford to break your system, then we do NOT recommend trying to proceed with the upgrade.The choice of course is yours to make, but we don't want our testers to be left with broken machines.

Work onfixingthe upgrade pathfrom 14.04 to 16.04 is being undertaken by Canonical.More information and calls for testing will follow in due course.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1559463
[2] http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/testcases/1498/info