As a self-educated non-technical background linux user I would advise you to reinstal 15.10, then wait with the upgrade until 16.04.01 (coming probably June/July). That's what I did, plus I installed the latest kernel 4.6 RC4 from ppa kernel/mainline - my 15.10 install now works much faster than 16.04, uses 30% less memory than 16.04. IMHO 4.6 kernel is so much better than 4.5 (or 4.4) that the idea of sticking to 4.5 for another 5 years is just as appealing as running Debian on 3.2 today (unless of course you run some kind of a mission-critical stuff).
Cheers,
Janusz

Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 7:57 PM
From: "John Deakin" <j...@humanaspects.co.uk>
To: xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: [xubuntu-users] Problems Booting after 15.10-16.04 Upgrade
I have just tried updating a Dell laptop using the on-line procedure.
When the setup was complete and I did a re-boot the OS just came up with
a blank screen and the system seemed to go into suspension.

The only way I can boot is to select Recovery mode in Grub and then
select Resume normal boot on the Recovery window. This then returns to
the Recovery window and I have to repeat the same procedure.

The OS then finally reboots into graphics mode and all is well after that.

Any ideas please on what went wrong and how I can corrects things?

regards,
John