Hi,

I'm having some weird issues with thumb drive ownership.  Steps:

1) 'sudo blkid' to call up the thumb drive assignment

2) 'sudo mount /dev/sd* /thumb' [where /dev/sd* is the drive assignment, and /thumb a directory off of the root]

---> 2a) [NB: /thumb is owned by the local account (here, 'blah') __before__ the mount command. Afterwards, the mounted thumb drive is owned by 'root' and can't be changed]

3) 'sudo touch /thumb' [for some reason, I get the default DEC 31 1969 when I mount the thumb drive]

but, when I type

'sudo chown -R blah:blah /thumb', [where 'blah' is the local account], I get

'chown: changing ownership of '/thumb': Operation not permitted'

***

The chown switches -R or --recursive do not work. [there are subdirectories on the thumb drive, and I would like all subdirectories to be changed to 'blah' ownership]

I suspect that the system's assignment of a wrong date/time to the drive might block the ownership change even after 'touch'. Is 'touch' counterproductive?

I have disabled automounting of thumb drives or indeed anything not in fstab [ie. hard drive]. I have removed the /media directory.

Any ideas?  Thanks,
Jordan