In my opinion the complication that (is it GTK3 or Xfce that's doing it
?) with the scrolling in new versions of Xubuntu is nuts. There's also
the scheme they do now were they hide the scroll bar till you mouse over
it - I turn that off whenever I can.

So try RIGHT clicking in the scrollbar space instead of left clicking
your mouse or touchpad. That's supposed to do what the left click used
to do. Sometimes it moves up/down just one line other times it's been
the page up/down as expected.

A page at a time is how humans read so don't ask me why they did it and
why AFAIK there's no easy check boxes to configure it.

http://www.fastmail.com - A fast, anti-spam email service.