The hard drive/controller card combination lasted well into the 386/486 era. I did not get my first PC until 1993 (a 486DX 33 MHz); prior to that I spent hours on the C64s at school. I was interested in purchasing a 250 MB hardcard drive, when I realized it would be easier to replace the drive. My parents weren't happy that I disassembled and reassembled the family computer, but they did chip in for a 700 MB hard drive (who could fill up all that space?) Enough memories ...

Jordan