On 15/05/17 02:55, James Freer wrote:
On Sun, 14 May 2017, Mariusz Kubański wrote:

James, did you try to disable Update Notifier in Session and Startup >
Application Autostart tab in settings?

No I didn't - that is what I should have done first? Done it now. I take
it that is the reason for having to add to 10periodic. I'm not an IT
professional so I am a bit unsure when it comes to tweaking.

I make keep notes for when the new version comes out.

many thanks
james

Hi James,
This issue has caused some problems with Xubuntu failing to shut down on some laptops. I personally have had to deal with over five different lappys, and help sort out many others. if you Google "Xubuntu failure to shut down", you will get some idea of the issue. It has only occurred in my experience since the move to system d. Using the software updater from the menu to disable automatic updates does not seem to work, hence the need to add the line to apt periodic 10.

There was an upgrade to this file about a week ago, and since then the shutdown problem has not occurred on any of the machines that I manage.

It has only been an issue on laptops, not desktops, so I assumed (a dangerous practice), that it was some conflict between the unattended upgrades, and the acpi calls. I don't really know, but turning off unattended upgrades solved both issues for me.
Regards Da Kiwi

--
please close the toilet lid. Water attracts frogs and frogs attracts snakes.
Found on a toilet wall in Fletcher Creek Queensland