John,
Over the years I have copied the following syntax cheats that aid in my
command line searches.

find files or directories

find ~/ -type f -iname "somefile*.xyz" -print 2>/dev/null

find (the find command
~/ (look in: /home/user
-type f (files only
-type d (directory only
-iname (ignore case
-name (match case
"somefile*.xyz" (looking for, * wildcards, & don't forget
trailing/matching quote, it will error
-print (print to stdout
2>/dev/null (pipe 2nd print output to null bit bucket, this usually
comes to play when searching / root you will get many permission errors
& piping to /dev/null moves them to null, no print

man find     (=options
Find "string in directory"

grep -iHr "string*" ~/

~/ (look in: /home/user
-H, --with-filename (Print the file name for each match.)
-R,-r, --recursive
-i, --ignore-case

man grep     (=options

The command line is your friend,