On 14/12/2018 20:04, Rog wrote:
> I've installed Vivaldi on my Xubuntu 16.04 desktop machine. Problem:
> FireFox keeps popping up when I click links and calls itself the
> preferred browser.
>
> In FF, I can not turn-off the check box for Always check if Firefox is
> your default browser. I un-installed and re-installed FF to fix that.
>
> In Vivaldi, I've set Vivaldi as preferred and turned-on always check.
>
> In Xubuntu, Settings Manager, Preferred Applications, Vivaldi is chosen
> as "The preferred Web Browser will be used to open hyperlinks and
> display help contents.
>
> BUT, FF still opens when I click a link. I have to copy links and paste
> them into Vivaldi's locater bar to go to such sites.
>
> How do I fix this??

Try what Teresa suggested. This is a permanent bug in all Ubuntu and its
derivatives which has been there for years. FF steals the preference and
it's VERY hard to get it back.

I fixed it eventually by just uninstallinf FF and never using it again:
I run Chromium and Vivaldi, and FF can take a hike.

Peter