Am Sonntag, den 18.10.2020, 22:15 +0000 schrieb avengethecathars:
> Hello!
> Novice user here. I am stumped trying to update my firefox browser. I
> downloaded the tar.bz file, but not sure what to do (extract?) or use
> the software center.
> I also tried the directions for installing in ubuntu and installing
> flatpack via a terminal, but failed but I am not sure why.
> Could someone talk me through the steps?
> Yours
> P. G.

Hi,
first: you can use
sudo apt update
sudo apt install firefox

2nd:
you can use synaptic, loook for firefox and install it

3rd
with your download file you should or can use engrampa within thunar.
First look for your firefox-file in thunar, then you click on it, open
it with engrampa and your firefox will be extracted from the tar-file.
After that you can call it - but you have to make it executable, before
you can use it.

The best way for that reason is, to use synaptic, install it und you
have a useable firefox.
Its the easiest way for newcomer in ubuntu.

bye hans