On 9/26/23 05:19, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 2023-09-26 at 07:59 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
I don't think that's how nm-applet gets onto the panel.  It doesn't
appear in the available to be added list.  It doesn't appear there
either on my own (with working nm-applet) xubuntu system.

Hi,

the OP needs to add the Notification Area panel plugin
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/systray and/or to adjust the
Notification Area panel plugin configuration.

There's something named nm-applet. How to auto-start it depends on the
desktop environment, it either has got a desktop-environment related
wrapper or you probably can use a freedesktop.org auto-start approach
via dbus-launch or a systemd unit to autostart it.

I'm neither using NetworkManager nor xfce4-panel nor a desktop
environment, hence I can't provide the explicit details, but just the
principle things like this do work. I'm an openbox user who does use a
few Xfce4 apps.

I don't know if xfce4-notifyd is involved. This is probably an annoyance
to drop the few xfce4-apps I'm still using in the near future. The more
GNOMEish Xfce4 gets, the more annoying it becomes even just using a few
Xcfe4 apps.

Regards,
Ralf

nm-applet appears on a panel in xfce/xubuntu of recent vintage (since 18.04, I think) via the Status Tray plugin or status notifier plugin.

These plugins are in transition development to gtk3, and I don't have detailed notes/memory on the changes that have taken place. Sorry.

You should also see if nm-applet has been "hidden" by status tray. Right click this section of your panel, click on properties, and then look to see if the hidden checkbox is marked.

And, killing nm-applet and then running it again via the shell command

        $ nm-applet &

should get the app showing on your panel again.

-Victor
Victor Forberger
vforber...@fastmail.fm
blog: http://linuxatty.wordpress.com