On 6/7/24 14:16, MR ZenWiz wrote:
I tried installing xubuntu 24.04 in a virtualbox VM, and it installed fine.

However, after installation, I cannot login. I enter my password, it
accepts this, starts to bring up the main window, and drops back to
the login screen. It never gets logged in for real.

I asked about this on the Ubuntu mailing list and the answer seems to
be related to Wayland vs. Xorg, but the answers are all regarding
gdm3, which xubuntu does not use.

Anyone else seeing this? Any idea why?

How do I force an Xorg login instead of a Wayland one on Xubuntu?

Thanks.

Mark

Can you get to recovery mode when you first boot up.  Hold down the shift key as it is booting then choose recovery mode and see if that takes you to the recovery menu.  from there you can change passwords, reinstall grub etc.

Wally