Hello,

  It looks like my main mail address is now blocked as
my last couple of postings just evaporated and never
showed up. Strange.

  Here's my response to Michael Gloegls mail:

> Well, has anybody done that with XUL yet?

  Again, XUL builds on the success of HTML. XUL
doesn't replace HTML but builds on it. Thus, if you
talk about XUL you also have to talk about HTML. If
you feel better just use HTML 5 or HTML 6 instead of
XUL/HTML.

> I really don't know. I have
> not much XUL experience, which I freely admit. But I
> suspect (like it
> always is) that easier usage comes with reduced
> flexibility, not just
> because one is Java and the other XML. So I'd be
> really interested to
> see an Application using things like heavily
> customized JLists or
> JTrees, or one of the other Components that make
> Swing so complex. I
> doubt it would be much easier or understandable than
> the equivalent Swing code.

  I guess you suffer the golden hammer syndrome. Just
because you know Java in and out doesn't mean that
it's the best solution for everything.

  Easier usage doesn't come with reduced flexiblity.
If you use a styling language for example, you get
easier usage *and* more flexibility. They same goes
for using markup for your UIs. It offers easier usage
*and* more flexiblity.

  Why do you think HTML has taken off and Swing is a
dead horse?

  Since you're from team Hibernate, maybe an EJB
analogy helps. Are EJBs more flexible because they are
harder to use than POJOs?

  Aren't you stuck with the services EJB offers? While
on the other hand you can pick and choose your
services for POJOs?

  So claiming that easier usage always comes with
reduced flexibility is dead wrong. If it were true, we
would all still be programming in assembly code.

>> Do you see why Java is irrelevant and why a
>> REST-style XML format beats an API anytime?

> If you wouldn't hand out such extreme and IMHO
> untrue comments, probably
> XUL would gain more acceptance.

  Well, XUL has not much acceptance because vendors
rather push their own plattforms (e.g. Windows API,
Swing API, Flash, Acrobat, etc.). After all vendors
want you to get locked-in and milk you for cash. It's
all about business.

  There is practically no money in XUL, thus, it's not
a fashionable thing to do.

  - Gerald