Hello

I think that's not a good idea to use CSS 'position' property in XUL,
absolute or fixed.
absolute doesn't work, fixed works with some problems.

1) You can use <stack> or <deck> element, this is the best solution (or set
-moz-stack css property).

<deck selectedIndex="0">    <!-- you change selectedIndex in javascript to
change what is displayed-->
 <image .../>
 <image .../>
</deck>

It's XUL way.

2)Also if you need floating element above your document, you'd beter use
<panel noautohide="true">
You set it position with showPopup function. See MDC.

3) The *dirty* solution is to use html elements in your xul:
You declare html namespace in your window
<window xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
  xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul";>
And use

4) Another *dirty* solution (i'm not sure how to make it work in random xul
file) is to use position:fixed
I used it in one firefox extension. There was a problem that element ignored
its z-index when it clipped <browser> element.
I solved it with another browser element in stack
*
*