On 2011-03-17 ma...@clara.co.uk wrote:
> Lasse Colin wrote:
> > > A more complex hack with fewer false positives but also some false
> > negatives is used in XZ Utils:
> >   - The next eight bytes are read as unsigned 64-bit little
> >     endian integer. This indicates the uncompressed size of
> >     the file. It should be either UINT64_MAX (meaning that the
> >     size is unknown) or some size as bytes. XZ Utils rejects
> >     files having a known size greater than 2^38 bytes (256 GiB).
>
> Can xz be forced to work with a file whose uncompressed size field is
> larger than 256GiB? That does seem a bit small these days; it's
> conceivable that some users might be compressing files that large.

Currently no. I will reconsider if it is a real-world problem for
someone.

Note that the limit is only for .lzma files with a known uncompressed
size. Files created in a pipe have unknown uncompressed size, and .lzma
files created with XZ Utils always have unknown uncompressed size
(simpler code). Most new files will use .xz instead of .lzma so the
limitations of the .lzma support in XZ Utils don't matter much, I hope.

--
Lasse Collin  |  IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode