On 2011-05-17 Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Lasse Collin dixit:
> >To be more exact, I meant a function that would return a pointer to
> >thread-specific char array. POSIX has pthread_key_create() and
>
> Oh sure. Let’s just force all xz users to link in libpthread…

It already does that unless you pass --disable-threads to configure when
compiling XZ Utils. 5.1.1alpha does threaded compression, so most people
don't want to disable threading support.

It's the dlopen/dlclose situation that worries me. GNU and Solaris call
functions registered with atexit() when a library is unloaded, but that
trick isn't supported e.g. on BSDs. GCC's __attribute__((destructor))
seems to work on a few other systems too, but it requires that the
compiler supports GNU C extensions, which isn't an acceptable
requirement in this case.

--
Lasse Collin  |  IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode