Lasse Collin wrote:
> On 2011-05-19 Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> I'll use FreeBSD's version names for the
>> public symbols (so, XZ_5.0 and XZ_5.1).
>
> I guess it is mostly OK. I think at least alpha versions should be e.g.
> XZ_5.1.1alpha, because I won't try to keep those symbols stable.

Thanks; that makes a lot of sense.  I have one tiny question left.
All else being equal, I'd prefer to allow testers to try

 1. update liblzma
 2. update xz

without breaking xz in the window between steps 1 and 2, except in the
obvious case when a function that turned out to be a bad idea was
changed or removed.  That would mean that even after the alpha is
over, lzma_stream_encoder_mt would stay as

        lzma_stream_encoder_mt@XZ_5.1.1alpha

and the old "xz" binary could keep using it during that window (unless
the meaning of some function changed, of course).  The mapfile would
list lots of version nodes, one for each alpha.

Does that sound reasonable, or would it be better to tell the package
manager to upgrade alphas of xz and liblzma in lockstep?