Hi!  I am trying to submit a patch to an open source project to add xz
support to it, but before accepting it the maintainer wants me to get a
promise from the xz developers that the xz format is now stable and will
have no backwardly incompatible modifications in the future.  As far as I
can tell it has been stable for over two years, and the fact that GNU and
kernel.org are now using it extensively seems like proof enough of its
stability to me, and I argued that point.  But he apparently had a bad
experience with the lzma format changing its format several times and
therefore does not trust xz.

So, can you give me a promise that the xz is stable and that no backwardly
incompatible modifications will be made to its format so that I can tell the
maintainer of the project that upstream has promised the xz is stable and it
is therefore safe to accept my patch?  Thanks.

In case you are curious, my patch lets the program handle patched files
compressed with xz (it already handles patches compressed with gzip and
bzip2).

Regards,

Tom