Hi Lasse,

Thanks very much for a fantastic utility. I am very eager to compress some files to allow random-access reading, but I see that the command option "--block-size" is not in the stable 5.0.4 release.

Some info as to my predicament:

    The files to be compressed range in size from 100GB-120GB.
Compressing with the verbose option estimates it will take about a day to compress each file. There are over 100TB of files, so it is unlikely that if I can only compress them as a single block now, that I will ever get to decompress/recompress them when 5.1 development branch becomes stable.

Given time involved in compressing and the quantity of data, I am hesitant to use the 5.1.2alpha code. I am paying attention when your web page says it should be considered unstable!

I see in the Release Notes that the "--block-size" option was added to the April, 2011 alpha release, and we are fast approaching 2013. I don't know how complex the code change is, or if it goes against your release policy, but would you consider back-porting the "--block-size" option to a 5.0.5 Stable Release? I surely can't be the only one who would love to make use of the option.

My ultimate end is to incorporate the XZ library or Embedded into our application to search and read the compressed files directly. In any case, thanks again for all the work you've put into xz, I will be compressing with your utility either way.

-Jack