On 2014-05-23 Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> Looking at the http://tukaani.org/xz/ page for some time, I am curious
> whether we could "stabilize" the version 5.1.  Almost all
> distributions are shipping alpha/beta versions of xz* packages which
> is probably not what especially library users want.

Yes, the current situation isn't good.

> What are plans on this topic?  I checked the TODO file and didn't find
> what exactly we need to fix to mark xz 5.1 stable.

For the past year or more, the plan has been to just get the 5.2.0 out.
It's so horribly late that I don't plan to do anything except fix bugs
and possibly some do simple enhancements. The rest must wait past 5.2.0.

Somehow months just pass and I get little done (with xz or anything
else). Anyway, here are some things that I plan to do before 5.2.0:

  * Skim through some of the new code in case I can spot problems that
    should be fixed before 5.2.0.

  * Ensure that the new APIs look OK for long-term support (I like to
    keep API & ABI stable).

  * Check that the new xz features are correctly documented on
    the xz man page.

  * Once I'm sure I won't change any message strings, I need to ask
    for updated translations from the translators.

The test suite is very poor but considering that how few bug reports
I've got about the alpha versions, I guess the important features
work well enough. liblzma API is another question though: I guess no
one has used the threaded encoder API yet because in 5.1.3alpha the
preset support was completely broken and I only noticed it when writing
an example program for that.

--
Lasse Collin  |  IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode