Thanks for the report and sorry for the delay,

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:18:49 PM CEST Earnestly wrote:
> >   - Autoconf 2.69
> >   - Automake 1.15
> >   - Libtool 2.4.6
> >   - Gettext 0.19.7
>
> I'm using these tools built from developmental head and while the
> ltmain.sh script exists it isn't copied into the AUX_DIR

I can't reproduce this with [1] (latest git HEADs):

$ for tool in m4 autoconf automake libtool ; do $tool --version | head -n 1 ;
done
m4 (GNU M4) 1.9a.678-c9436
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69.161-ab30-dirty
automake (GNU automake) 1.99a
libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.6.34-08c5

> As a number of projects have the same issue it seems very likely that
> there's a regression somewhere in the autotools infrastructure but it's
> something I'm not at all motivated to dig into as I lack the energy to
> deal with GNU.
>
> As you say AUX_DIR is clearly not deprecated but it does add a little
> unnecessary complexity for the sake of slightly reduced top-level
> clutter (of which autotools makes a mess of anyway).
>
> If this merit isn't worth the additional top-level clutter then feel free
> to ignore this patch.

The macro AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR is useful and definitely not planned to be
deprecated.  If there is some bug, let's report that correctly and fix it
(removing it from projects is IMO unfortunate way).

I'd like to see steps to reproduce :)

[1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/praiskup/autotools/

Thanks,
Pavel