On 2020-02-15 Mario Emmenlauer wrote:
> Would you consider integrating cmake support?

Maybe. I remember this being asked on IRC years ago but I wasn't able to
think about it back then. If it is enough to have CMake support to
build liblzma on a few very specific targets, it shouldn't be too hard
to add it *and* keep it maintained.

Supporting more than liblzma (like the xz tool) and many operating
systems would be too much work. Such a full support would require
porting the various Autoconf tests to CMake, testing the tests, and
keeping them up to date when the Autoconf tests are updated.

> My reason for asking is that I've been using unofficial cmake patches
> since a while to build xz on MSVC, and its always difficult to build
> trust into every new release.

There are Visual Studio project files in XZ Utils to build liblzma. Are
those project files problematic or not good enough?

Even if they are fine, I admit it could be nice if CMake could be used
instead, since maintaining the VS project files is a bit annoying and I
don't even test them.

> For what its worth there would be existing cmake integration that
> can be used as a head start, i.e. from vcpkg.

A link to a known good CMakeLists.txt (and possible other files) would
be nice along with an explanation what it builds (e.g. both static and
shared liblzma?) and which targets are supported (e.g. is it MSVC
only?). Thanks!

--
Lasse Collin  |  IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode