New question #238696 on Yade:

Hi, all,

About 15 years ago, a girl did an impact experiment of a boulder impacting onto
a soil layer, now I want to reproduce her experiment by using yade. The problem
is that her soil layer is quite big, to respect the reality, the numerical
sample will have millions of particles, and the time step will be as small as
1e-8, thus the sample might never be prepared by gravity deposition.

So my question is: how could we increase the time step while not change the
physics? I did some two particles impact tests, it turns out playing with
radius and density (keep mass constant) could increase time step, but the
contact forces will also be changed, not good. So, any other ideas?

Second question: Does somebody use viscous damping of
Law2_ScGeom_MindlinPhys_Mindlin()? This contact law is said to be mature, but
is it proper to be used in dealing with dynamic problems?

Thanks.
Regards.
Lingran