New question #688400 on Yade:

Hi all,

I am trying to simulate a shear test where I have two CPM materials with
different properties - top_mat(lower strength) and bot_mat(higher strength).
top_mat rests on bot_mat at an angle <45. Try to imagine a direct shear test
where there is an asperity at the interface.  There is only friction between
the two materials-no cohesion.

There is a plate at the top which applies a load on top_mat in Constant Normal
stiffness condition(CNS). top_mat has its boundaries free only in the Y
direction where it is allowed to move vertically up or down. bot_mat can only
move in the X direction(horizontal).

When bot_mat(bottom box) is moved using a plate in the horizontal direction(X),
the top_mat should ''SLIDE'' along the asperity in the Y direction and then be
subjected to damage when the shear strength threshold is reached for top_mat.

But even though I have a plate with a CNS load applied on top, during the
shearing process, top_mat starts to ''FLY'' up instead of sliding and loses
contact with bot_mat by pushing the CNS plate up, thereby defying both the CNS
and the gravitational forces in the system.  I am not sure why this is
happening.

P.S: I had modified the source code to have zero cohesion ONLY AT THE
INTERFACE:  iscohesive=0, undamagedcohesion=0

Sorry that I am unable to think of a way to provide an MWE because I cut out
that interface using a gts surface and this platform doesn't support the
inclusion of external links. If it is alright, I can provide the code and the
external links here. Kindly help me out as I have been stuck in this issue for
many days. Help as soon as possible will be much appreciated. Many thanks in
advance.

-Arun

an answer contact for Yade.