Question #692956 on Yade changed:

Rohit John gave more information on the question:
Hello,

Thanks for your answers

reply to  Robert's comments.
> Even if what you say is true (which seems odd to me), why should that prevent
> you from using CentralGravityEngine? There are plenty of ways to "see" motion
> without physically observing it in a window.

I want to observe the interaction between the debris and the cylinders.
Viewing the motion, compared to tracking states of the bodies, will
offer additional insights into the dynamics. I will read the document
Janek suggested [1].

>You can change/turn off the applied force at any time step you like.

>From what I understood, the forceEngine applies the same force to all
bodies in the simulation.  I would like to have a force which depends on
the position of the bodies. The equations are given here [2].

> I don't think FieldApplier should be used directly. But I really don't know
> why you believe it looks promising. Please provide links to everything you
> reference. What are you reading? Where are you reading it?

I read the YADE documentation about fieldApplier [3]. I understood that the
gravity fields use FieldApplier. Since there are engines for creating forces
directed to an axis(AxialGravityEngine) or a body (CentralGravityEngine), I
assumed that the forces are dependent on the position of the body they act on.
I do not know how exactly the engine works. I then assumed it would be possible
to create a function capable of exerting a position dependent force on a body

reply to Janek's comments
> CentralGravityEngine does not depend on distance
That's too bad. I thought it used Newton's gravitational law. If this is the
case, I cannot use it.

I do not know how to code a new engine or use c++. Please correct me if I am
wrong. Can I add a new function for defining a the forces using the equations
from [2] in the GravityEngines.cpp [4], based on the other functions in the
file? Are there other files I must modify in addition to this?

Kind regards,
Rohit John

[1] https://yade-dem.org/doc/yade.qt.html#yade.qt._GLViewer.center
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clohessy%E2%80%93Wiltshire_equations