This bug was fixed in the package cloud-utils - 0.26-0ubuntu3

---------------
cloud-utils (0.26-0ubuntu3) raring; urgency=low

  * sync to trunk at revno 219
    * growpart: support updating mounted partition with partx --update
      (LP: #1136936)
 -- Scott Moser <smo...@ubuntu.com>   Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:45:10 -0500

** Changed in: cloud-utils (Ubuntu)

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.

  growpart and cloud-utils should support growing mounted filesystem

Status in Init scripts for use on cloud images:
  In Progress
Status in cloud management utilities:
  Fix Committed
Status in “cloud-init” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “cloud-utils” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Under bug 1096999, we added support to util linux 'partx' to update
  the partition table information of a disk with a mounted partition.
  This takes advantage of kernel feature in 3.8.0.

  This actually removes the necessity of cloud-initramfs-growpart.
  We can now put that function into growpart and cloud-init instead.  By doing
so, we can actually make it able to be disabled from user-data, and not require
ramdisk code.

  Links:
   * util-linux upstream:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=utils/util-linux/util-linux.git;a=commitdiff;h=3b905b794e93609af7e42459d32b27e7c18ce02e
   * kernel upstream:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=c83f6bf98dc1f1a194118b3830706cebbebda8c4

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04
  Package: cloud-utils 0.26-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-21.32-generic 3.5.7.1
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-21-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.8-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64