** Changed in: nova/icehouse

     Assignee: (unassigned) => Gary Kotton (garyk)

** Tags removed: havana-backport-potential icehouse-backport-potential
in-stable-havana in-stable-icehouse

** Also affects: nova/havana

** Changed in: nova/havana

** Changed in: nova/havana

** Changed in: nova/havana
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Gary Kotton (garyk)

  vmwareapi: unrescue instance failed due to can't detach disk from
  running instance

Status in OpenStack Compute (Nova):
  Fix Committed
Status in OpenStack Compute (nova) havana series:
  Fix Committed
Status in OpenStack Compute (nova) icehouse series:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  I use openstack icehouse build, when unrescue a rescued instance based on
vcenter driver, the instance became to ERROR status, and when nova show  we hit
error below:
  {u'message': u'The attempted operation cannot be performed in the current
state (Powered on).', u'code': 500, u'details': u'  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/compute/manager.py", line 258, in
decorated_function |
  |                                      |     return function(self, context,
*args, **kwargs)

  |                                      |   File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/compute/manager.py", line 2797, in
unrescue_instance

  |                                      |     network_info)

  |                                      |   File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/virt/vmwareapi/driver.py", line 675, in
unrescue

  |                                      |     _vmops.unrescue(instance)

  |                                      |   File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/virt/vmwareapi/vmops.py", line 1132, in
unrescue

self._volumeops.detach_disk_from_vm(vm_rescue_ref, r_instance, device)

  |                                      |   File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/virt/vmwareapi/volumeops.py", line 129,
in detach_disk_from_vm

self._session._wait_for_task(instance_uuid, reconfig_task)

  |                                      |   File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/virt/vmwareapi/driver.py", line 890, in
_wait_for_task

  |                                      |     ret_val = done.wait()

  |                                      |   File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/eventlet/event.py", line 116, in wait

  |                                      |     return hubs.get_hub().switch()

  |                                      |   File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/eventlet/hubs/hub.py", line 187, in switch