** Changed in: neutron

  scalability problem of router routes update

Status in OpenStack Neutron (virtual network service):
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Updating router routes takes long time when increasing a number of routes.
  The critical problem is that it is CPU bound task of neutron-server and
neutron-server can not reply for other request.

  I show below a measurement example of neutron-server's CPU usage.

  Setting routes to a router. (0 to N)
  100 routes: 1 sec
  1000 routes: 5 sec
  10000 routes: 51 sec

  I found validation check of parameter  is inefficient. The following
  example support it too.

  No change but just specify same routes to a router. (N to N, DB is not
changed)
  100 routes: <1 sec
  1000 routes: 4 sec
  10000 routes: 52 sec

  Remove routes from a router. (N to 0)
  100 routes: <1 sec
  1000 routes:  8 sec
  10000 routes: 750 sec

  I found handling of record deletion is bad. It takes N**2 order.