** Changed in: nova

  v1 API: image data downloads for images in pending_delete fails

Status in OpenStack Image Registry and Delivery Service (Glance):
  In Progress
Status in OpenStack Compute (Nova):
  Opinion

Bug description:
  Use case: user spawns an instance, then deletes the boot image, to
  prevent new instances from being spawned with it.  Later, the user
  wants to live migrate the instance to a new hypervisor.

  As part of this, nova will attempt to download all the images used by
  the instance on the target node to populate its image cache.  Because
  the image used is no longer in an explicit "active" state, the Glance
  v1 API returns a 404 Not Found.

  According to the docs, pending_delete is supposed to be recoverable,
  which could arguably imply that downloading and re-uploading the image
  would be allowed; so this smells like a bug.

  I will not let the fact that Mark just told me in as many words that
  it is not dissuade me from this point of view.  ;-)