** Changed in: nova

  suspending a paused instance

Status in OpenStack Compute (Nova):
  Opinion

Bug description:
  Is there a compelling reason why we don't support suspending a paused
  instance? At the moment we only allow 'active' and 'rescued' states to
  be suspended.

  In compute/api:

  @check_instance_state(vm_state=[vm_states.ACTIVE, vm_states.RESCUED])

  Trying to suspend a paused instance results in:

  nova suspend b10f8175-1663-41b2-8533-0b0606f369ff
  ERROR: Cannot 'suspend' while instance is in vm_state paused (HTTP 409)
(Request-ID: req-7349d554-ff48-4155-a62b-967f0813c59c)

  I haven't tested with other hypervisors, but as far as libvirt/kvm is
  concerned it suspends (virsh managedsave) both states ('running',
  'paused') and resumes (virsh start) a suspended instance to the pre-
  suspended state.

  A use-case for this is to be able to quickly pause a bunch of
  instances for security reasons and then suspend one of them
  conveniently using the API rather than virsh. Taking a suspicious vm
  to ‘active’ state so that it can be suspended doesn’t seem like a good
  idea.