I wasn't able to recreate this on a master branch devstack I created
this week (so newton code).

I created a server with name 'test', verified virsh list showed that
instance by it's same 'instance_name' attribute from nova show test.

Then renamed the server via "nova update --name new_name test" which
renamed the server's display_name, it didn't change the instance_name
attribute in the nova show new_name output, nor did virsh list change.

I deleted the server using nova delete new_name, and it was deleted
along with it being gone from virsh list.

** Changed in: nova

  updated VM name leaves libvirt domain behind after deletion

Status in OpenStack Compute (nova):
  Invalid

Bug description:
  After successfully updating the name of an instance (from a libvirt/KVM
host), I proceeded to delete the instance.
  The instance was successfully deleted. However, upon using "virsh list
--all", it can be seen that the domain has not been undefined.

  Steps to Reproduce:
  1. Setup instance with a libvirt/KVM host and SVC storage
  2. Spawn a VM called "test-vm"
  API --> POST https://<ip>:8774/v2.1/da0be0d560f541d7acccb66104ebe094/servers
  3. Update the VM with a new name "new-name-vm"
  API --> PUT
https://<ip>:8774/v2.1/da0be0d560f541d7acccb66104ebe094/servers/5334ead7-4bd7-4f81-8b41-d833ebf52a9b
  body: {{'name': 'new-name-vm'}}
  4. Delete the VM
  API --> DELETE
https://<ip>:8774/v2.1/da0be0d560f541d7acccb66104ebe094/servers/5334ead7-4bd7-4f81-8b41-d833ebf52a9b

  Expected Results:
  The VM to be deleted and the libvirt domain to be destroyed and undefined.
  "virsh list --all" should return:

  virsh list --all
   Id    Name                           State

  Actual Results:
  The VM is deleted but the domain was not undefined and still appears on the
KVM using "virsh list --all".
  "virsh list --all" returned:

  virsh list --all
   Id    Name                                                    State