Public bug reported:

Configuration
============
Release name: Ocata

One controller node and one compute node of Intel Xeon processor with 64
GB RAM and 1.5 TB HDD

keystone,cinder,neutron,dashboard all are in controller and compute on
second server.

Provider network configuration

the setup runs fine and after instance starts running the following
error showed up on some commands.

---------------------------Start-----------------------------------
[root@controller ~]# openstack server list
Unexpected API Error. Please report this at http://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/ and
attach the Nova API log if possible.
<class 'sqlalchemy.exc.OperationalError'> (HTTP 500) (Request-ID:
req-c5fc6b38-f111-4b59-8d9b-75afba138175)
[root@controller~]#
-----------------------------------End--------------------------------------

when I look in to the nova-api.log file I could find the following
error

OperationalError: (pymysql.err.OperationalError) (1040, u'Too many
connections')

The error goes off after restarting the mariadb.service.

** Affects: nova

  Unexpected API Error :<class 'sqlalchemy.exc.OperationalError'> (HTTP
  500)

  Configuration