Public bug reported:

Horizon was likely started very early along with Django, and thus has the old
format wsgi file as "django.wsgi".
https://github.com/openstack/horizon/tree/master/openstack_dashboard/wsgi

This is not how django names this file anymore, nor how it is really
used.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20035252/difference-between-wsgi-py-and-django-wsgi
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/howto/deployment/wsgi/modwsgi/

The expectation is having a wsgi.py file somewhere along your importable
python path. Normally this is in the same place as your settings.py file
when building a default django project.

Ideally we should rename and move the file to a place it is easier to import
from:
horizon/openstack_dashboard/wsgi/django.wsgi
horizon/openstack_dashboard/wsgi.py

gunicorn cannot import and run it because it isn't a '.py' file, and is
one of the most popular wsgi servers around.

By doing the above move and rename the file can now be imported and run as:
gunicorn openstack_dashboard.wsgi:application

NOTE: This will likely break anyone using it right now. We may instead want to
copy the file to the new location and add a deprecation log into the old one
with a notice to remove in 2 cycles. Ideally also document that deployers
should be using the new file.

** Affects: horizon

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to OpenStack Dashboard (Horizon).

  wsgi.py is missing

Status in OpenStack Dashboard (Horizon):