Hi all,

I want to revive the discussion on this thread, since the overhead of
CHANGES.txt came up again in the context of backporting fixes for
maintenance releases.

Allen's automatic generation script (HADOOP-11731) went into trunk but not
branch-2, so we're still maintaining CHANGES.txt everywhere. What do people
think about backporting this to branch-2 and then removing CHANGES.txt from
trunk/branch-2 (HADOOP-11792)? Based on discussion on this thread and in
HADOOP-11731, we seem to agree that CHANGES.txt is an unreliable source of
information, and JIRA is at least as reliable and probably much more so.
Thus I don't see any downsides to backporting it.

Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this, I'm willing to drive the
effort.

Thanks,
Andrew