Jan,

As part of YARN-1011 (oversubscription work), we are looking at better
(faster) ways of monitoring and enforcement and considering putting all
YARN containers under a cgroup with hard limit so YARN as a whole does not
go over a limit, but let the individual containers run over. The details
are not clear yet, but hopefully that will help you.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:53 AM, Jan Lukavský <jan.lukav...@firma.seznam.cz
> wrote:

> Hi Ravi,
>
> sorry for late answer. :) We are on hadoop 2.6-cdh5.7.
>
> Cheers,
>  Jan
>
> On 12.8.2016 01:57, Ravi Prakash wrote:
>
>> Hi Jan!
>>
>> Yes! Makes sense. I'm sure there were bigger changes for the
>> ResourceHandler. Which version are you on?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ravi
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Jan Lukavský <
>> jan.lukav...@firma.seznam.cz <mailto:jan.lukav...@firma.seznam.cz>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Ravi,
>>
>>     I don't think cgroups will help us, because, we don't want to
>>     impose a hard limit on the memory usage, we just want to allow for
>>     short time periods, when container can consume more memory than
>>     its limit. We don't want to put the limit too high, because that
>>     causes underutilization of our cluster, but setting it
>>     "reasonable" causes applications to fail (because of random
>>     containers being killed because of spikes). That's why we created
>>     the time-window averaging resource calculator, and I was trying to
>>     find out, if anybody else is having similar kind of issues. If so,
>>     I could contribute our extension (and therefore we will not have
>>     to maintain it ourselves in a separate repository :)). The
>>     resource calculator is for hadoop 2.6, and I suppose there might
>>     be larger changes around this in higher versions?
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>      Jan
>>
>>     On 10.8.2016 19:23, Ravi Prakash wrote:
>>
>>>     Hi Jan!
>>>
>>>     Thanks for your explanation. I'm glad that works for you! :-)
>>>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-5202
>>>     <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-5202> is something
>>>     that Yahoo! talked about at the Hadoop Summit, (and it seems the
>>>     community may be going in a similar direction, although not
>>>     exactly the same.) There's also
>>>     https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/hadoop-yarn-proj
>>> ect/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-server/hadoop-yarn-server-
>>> nodemanager/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/yarn/server/